Saturday, October 18, 2014

Interview with author, Simon Paul Wilson

This week I’ve had the opportunity to interview author, Simon Paul Wilson, whose novel, YUKO ZEN IS SOMEWHERE ELSE, will be released by the Pankheast Group on October 31.

YUKO ZEN IS SOMEWHERE ELSE started off as a the introspective musings of a loney man, morphed into a coming-of-age novel for a teenage girl, and ended up being a sci-fi/fantasy battle of good versus evil. Unique and always surprising, YUKO ZEN IS SOMEWHERE ELSE is a joy to read. The major turning point of the story, the point after which I couldn’t stop reading, was when Yuko lost her best friend.

What made you think of this plot twist as the way to move the story less from the ramblings of a teenage girl, and more into a supernatural thriller?
Personally, I like movies and books that start as one thing and then gradually morph into something quite different. Something I really wanted to do with Yuko was create a character that readers would become attached to or relate with, to give people a character they would be interested in and root for. My intention all along was to build Yuko's world, knock it down, and replace it with something that was far from normal. If a reader is truly into a character, then they will follow him or her, no matter where they go. That's what I hope people will do with Yuko. 

In the end, the main characters are challenged by the forces of evil, which fear Yuko’s potential power. This part of the story reminded me of the parable of Job, where Job becomes an unwitting pawn in a games of wills between God and Satan. 
Do you think we are all playthings for the forces of good and evil?
Interesting question! I think we all have good and bad inside us. It's up to us which one of those we decide to be our master or guiding force. If we were to think of our emotions and how they can control us, I guess we could say we are playthings of good and evil, in a way. Yeah, interesting question...

At the end of YUKO ZEN IS SOMEWHERE ELSE, good wins out and circumstances are changed. Here in America, our western ideology demands that good always prevails. That’s not necessarily true for other cultures. 
How much of your work is influenced by the teachings of Eastern mythologies versus Western ones?
To be honest, the original ending of Yuko Zen was a little bit more ambiguous and in keeping with Eastern fiction, especially that of Japan and Korea. Having traveled and lived in Asia for many years, my writing has been deeply influenced by Eastern mythology and culture. I like stories that end and make me think about what may happen next. As for Yuko Zen, does good really win at the end? Or is it a small victory? As the writer, I have my own opinion of what may happen next, I would be very interested to hear what other people think. 

What can we look forward to reading from Simon Paul Wilson in the future?
I am very nearly at the end of a third rewrite of a novel called GhostCityGirl - a cyberpunk ghost story set in future Japan. I have also started work on a new magical realism novel called Ten Things To Do Before I Disappear. I'm very excited about both of them. Let's see what happens!

Tell us more about yourself.
Simon Paul Wilson writes quirky fiction. Originally from the UK, Simon traveled to Asia and found his second home. Heavily influenced by his time in China and Thailand, Simon's stories usually feature kooky Asian girls and ghosts with very long hair. When not writing, Simon listens to post and prog rock at a very loud volume. He also likes to play air-guitar.

Let’s talk about Pankhearst. What excites you most about being part of the Pankhearst group? 
Honestly, I think everything the Pankhearst group releases is top quality writing. I really do feel honoured they like my humble scribbles. I would also like to say I have not been bribed to say good things.

Participate in the launch events (competition and giveaway) at https://www.facebook.com/events/906808869349180/
Before October 31, pre-order YUKO ZEN IS SOMEWHERE ELSE at the following links:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLYHCOS
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OLYHCOS
After October 30, get your own copy of YUKO ZEN IS SOMEWHERE ELSE at http://getbook.at/YUKO/
Find out more about Simon Paul Wilson at the following links:

No comments:

Post a Comment